20 Feb How do you align an industry with Government objectives? Tourism Australia Social Media guidelines.
How do you make sure the individual marketing activities your countries travel industry work in favour of your tourism efforts? Share the tourism boards social media guidelines of course. Tourism Australia have done exactly that, and why not?
Tourism Australia’s mission is clear; to get the entire travel & tourism industry to join its social media team, with aim of making Australia the world’s most talked about tourism destination. In terms of people in the industry, it currently equates to almost 1 million. It’s refreshing to see a stake in the ground with regards to social as I run a few travel websites myself & at times I find it challenging to contribute to a saturated industry.
In an article on Adnews, Tourism Australia MD Andrew McEvoy said harnessing the smaller travel firms that make up 78% of the tourist industry would both increase tourism, and level the playing field for businesses that traditionally could not compete with big marketing budgets.
“If I own a hotel and someone tweets or posts about it on Facebook, they’re advocating for my business. This makes everyone who comes through the door a potential fan and advocate,” said McEvoy. “We see the same opportunity from everyone that visits our shores and the industry can help itself by embracing the power of social media.
From my perspective its refreshing to see efforts like this happening from the top. A clear vision is being communicated and it is a powerful one. “Let’s align our efforts, let’s work together, Let’s be the most talked about”. As one, our efforts will be multiplied and and our messages consistent resulting in a higher yield – more tourism.
Finally in my opinion, there is nothing really ‘standout’ or ‘new’ in the social media guidelines, but that’s not the main purpose now is it? Industry consistency is. In the presentation below Tourism Australia talks about the opportunity surrounding social media and more interestingly the results they’ve had to date. They then continue to clarify the 5 steps needed in order to join the worlds largest social media team.
- STEP 1: Create platforms that your fans can build on. Essentially, create something which people are inclined to contribute to – this is engagement at its best.
- STEP 2: Make your Advocates the Hero. Recognise and reward those who contribute, carry or amplify your messages.
- STEP 3: Surf waves. There is a lot of energy behind Australian events and news. Leverage it, surf these waves of energy.
- STEP 4: Make our stores social. Arm your communities with ammunition needed to carry a story.
- STEP 5: Test & Learn. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Celebrate & share those which work well.
Tourism Australia Social Media Guidelines: